The Poi was used, many years ago, by the indigenous Maori people of New Zealand to increase their flexibility and strength in their hands and arms as well as improving coordination.
Wahine (female) dancers perform the Maori Poi, a dance performed with balls attached to flax strings, swung rhythmically. The Poi Dance was originally used by the Maori women for keeping their hands flexible for weaving and by the men for strength and coordination required during battle.
The above Fabric Poi or Practice Poi are more thought of as International Poi . Hand made Cheap Poi using a variety of modern fabrics and lasting materials.
Pendulum Poi - Flex?What is the difference between flex and regular Pendulum Poi?
The 'Flex' uses a 6mm Polyester Rope which as the name implies provides a more flexible cord.
The regular Pendulum Poi uses a thicker 8mm Polyester Rope, which can help with vertical stalls or any moves requiring a stiffer rope/cord.
Why play Poi?The benefits to be obtained from Poi include
- Improved coordination, balance, dexterity, and body awareness,
- Improved focus, alertness, perception, patience, persistence,
- Improved brain function, creativity,
- Fun cardiovascular exercise,
- Greater self image, self esteem, confidence,
- and a great way of meeting new people, develop new friends and relationships
- And to be a part of helping people to achieve those benefits is our greatest achievement and drives our vision:
Our Poi Vision'To help everyone discover and shine in the performance arts.'
And that includes YOU!
And when you purchase from Home Of Poi you also get hundreds of free video lessons to help you quickly impress yourself, and others, with your skills. "It really can change your life!"